Build Your Own House

The ultimate website for owner builders & DIYers
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:39 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:12 pm 

Hello, im just wondering has anybody out there built a freestanding garage and studio, and freestanding i mean not attatched to teh house?? Because if im correct, it is not allowed.. ? Cheers for any input...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:48 pm 

grayem wrote:
Hello, im just wondering has anybody out there built a freestanding garage and studio, and freestanding i mean not attatched to teh house?? Because if im correct, it is not allowed.. ?

I have heard before that the WA Builder's Reg. Board won't issue an OB licence for a class 10a building (garage, carport, shed etc.) but I can't find anything on their website that confirms it. In fact, the BRB site (http://www.builders.wa.gov.au/default.aspx?MenuID=4) defines owner-builders as "persons who construct for themselves a residential house or an industrial/commercial building, including additions", which would suggest that you can OB buildings apart from class 1 and 10. I had a client who wanted to build a single-storey studio and the BRB said they couldn't issue a licence because it "was not a habitable space", which is bollocks anyway. But that is just hearsay. The client built it anyway and then applied for retrospective approval, but I don't recommend this approach :-)

It doesn't make any sense anyway - most class 1a buildings (single dwelling) will include a class 10a (garage) component, so why prevent OBs from building class 10a?

The BCA (1.3.3c) says that "if not more than 10% of the floor area of a class 1 building is used for a purpose which is a different classification, the classification of Class 1 may apply to the whole building". ie if your garage is no more than 10% of your dwelling then you can class the whole building as class 1. I guess that your upstairs studio wouldn't be 90% of the studio/garage or you would have a very odd looking building.

If indeed the BRB dig their heels in on the detached garage/studio thing then I would suggest that the simplest workaround would be to connect your house to your garage/studio. This could be a simple connecting hallway or pavillion perhaps. Whether you actually end up building it is another matter, but it is nice to be able to get from the garage to the house without going outside...

However I would suggest that you actually speak to a real flesh person at the board and get an actual written citation of the restriction, if it exists. If so then presumably they could not grant a licence for building a fence (class 10b), and yet I know the council issue approvals for fences all the time (although these are usually under the $20,000 limit so you don't need an official licence). Please keep us informed.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:44 pm 

Bruce, your legend mate, thanks for that..And ah, yeah, i ended up giving the board a ring, talked to a real nice women, who informed me that the policy is changing as of next week... its going to get tougher to get an OB license here in wa as of this time forward.. I have read a few posts from the eastern states, and it sounds like we are headed into there territory..Im kinda getting jumpy and might just put an aplication in before i get teh full nod from council, if that is allowed... I have planning aproval, just waiting for building approval,,, not sure, ill check... Looks like i may have to end up hiring a builder in teh end as im also building a bathroom with a bedroom on top, so i may be pushing the envelope just that too far??? then again, you cant get shot for trying, maybe a fine but not shot! :-) thanks again... one thing though about this new regulation policy thing, i wonder if it will allow multiple building ??? i might check NSW and QLD and see what the go is there.... again, thanks for your time...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:46 am 

grayem wrote:
its going to get tougher to get an OB license here in wa as of this time forward..

Are they bringing in new regulations or is it just more scare tactics? The whole OB section of the BRB website reads as anti-OB propaganda already. Did she confirm the "no class 10a" rule and did she point you towards the actual legislation?

Quote:
...might just put an aplication in before i get teh full nod from council, if that is allowed...

I think you have to get the OB licence before applying for council building approval - don't you need to enter the builder's licence number on the application?

Quote:
i might check NSW and QLD and see what the go is there.... again, thanks for your time...

I don't think that what they do OE is going to make any difference here.