Build Your Own House

The ultimate website for owner builders & DIYers
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:09 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:05 pm 

Hi all thought I'd better start a thread here for our project.

We today completed on our purchase of 2.5 acres of land at Kensington Grove QLD.

I've just booked the soil test so I guess it's underway.
I send my assessments off last week for my owner builder course so I'm waiting to hear if I've passed, fingers crossed I have but if not I get 2 more chances.

I still feel totally unprepared but I've learnt heaps so far and will learn more every day I'm sure.

I'll post pictures of the property once we can get out there for another look, probably at the weekend.

Toni

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:05 pm 

woohoo toni congrats hun cant wait to see progress pics good luck hun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:48 am 

Fantastic Toni

Can't wait for all the updates. What did you decide on to build?

All the best,
:D Smiley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:31 pm 

Wellllll initially we're building a small 7*12 kit home.

The kit actually has 3 bedrooms but we'll do it with only 2 so that we can have a larger living area.

Once that's done we'll start planning phase 2 which is another building the same size with a master and ensuite, a guest room/study and another bathroom/laundry and another lounge.

Both buildings will be joined with a small entrance hall building and will sit at right angles to each other. We will then have a covered outdoor living space measuring 12m * 12m. Yes we like the outdoor lifestyle and will also be putting in a full outdoor kitchen and massive pizza oven.

However since our Sydney home didn't sell and is now rented out quite when phase 2 will commence is pretty much anyones guess!!!!

I'm now nervously waiting the results of my owner builder course.

I HATE TESTS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:14 pm 

Tonig wrote:
Wellllll initially we're building a small 7*12 kit home.

The kit actually has 3 bedrooms but we'll do it with only 2 so that we can have a larger living area.

Once that's done we'll start planning phase 2 which is another building the same size with a master and ensuite, a guest room/study and another bathroom/laundry and another lounge.

Both buildings will be joined with a small entrance hall building and will sit at right angles to each other. We will then have a covered outdoor living space measuring 12m * 12m. Yes we like the outdoor lifestyle and will also be putting in a full outdoor kitchen and massive pizza oven.

However since our Sydney home didn't sell and is now rented out quite when phase 2 will commence is pretty much anyones guess!!!!

I'm now nervously waiting the results of my owner builder course.

I HATE TESTS

good luck on test im sure you will pass with flying colours sorry about the sydney house not selling but things happen for a reason maybe by the time you finish stage 1 the sydney house will double in value :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:50 am 

Congrats from us too on all your plans - I agree that things usually happen for a reason [only thing is that we don't realise it until later!!!], in the house sale bit then your house will sell [hopefully!!] for much much more than you had hoped and you'll be able to pay off all your debts :D wouldn't that be fantastic!

Love the idea of 2 kit homes joined together - we had been looking at living in a shed temporarily whilst we built the house but understandably the Council aren't too rapt in that - too far to travel from home to the block each w/e. Doing things your way at least you'd have a roof over your head whilst you complete the rest of the project! :lol: Great thing about this site - lots of inspiration :roll: too much at times!
Don't worry about the exam - you'll be fine, no worries!
Good luck, look forward to hearing more about your plans . . . .
Anne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:22 am 

Thought I'd give a little update. Don't have any pictures for you yet but soon soon.

So first bit of good news, I found out yesterday that I passed my owner builder exam. My permit application is sitting waiting to go in the mail I'm just waiting to receive a copy of the land title. Everyone has been so helpful with everything it's wonderful.

On Tuesday the guy doing out sewage plan is heading to site for a look around and on Wednesday I'm meeting the guy that's doing the soil test.

It really is getting a bit exciting
Toni

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:11 am 

[size=18]CONGRATS[/size] again!!! :roll: :D told you that you'd be fine on the exam. . . . looks like everything is going ahead at a great speed; good luck to you :D :D :D Keep us up to date - it's inspiring [for me at least ] , only prob for me is the lack of finances!?!?!? :cry: :roll:
Congrats again

Anne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:55 am 

Fantastic news Toni

Can't wait for all the updates. I hope all goes perfectly. You're an inspiration.

Best wishes, :D Smiley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:44 am 

WOOHOOO CONGRATS
cant wait for the start
it is exciting isnt it :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:32 pm 

I thought it was about time I posted some pics of the land. So here are some I took when the Soil test guy was onsite drilling his holes

Hope you like them
Toni

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:10 pm 

hi toni great bush block cant wait for more pics when progress begins

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:18 am 

Geee, things are really moving quickly - it must be soooo exciting for you, it is for me and it's not even my block!!! [Great pics of the block too]Get your exam results one week, next you've got the Soil guy out, doing his thing and before you know it the frame will be up . . . . exciting isn't the word!!!
Here's hoping it all goes to plan, best of luck to you . . . .

Anne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:23 pm 

We've found that the neighbours fence is in completely the wrong spot, we spotted it when the sale first went through but didn't realise just how far off it was until I spoke to the council who told us that we had 2 water easements.

Well one is completely on the neighbours side of the fence which means the fence is off by at least 2 meters at the road. We don't plan trying to get the fence moved but the council are insisting that our measurements are taken from the true boundry so we're gonna have to pain a bit yellow line down the boundry so that we can take all our measurements from that.

Hopefully the neighbours will be o.k. with it, we think we're being pretty reasonable and are pretty sure, between you and me that they are aware that it's wrong. Don't know if they realise that their house might just be illegally close to the true boundry but hey I don't care if they don't.

I'll let you know how we go :roll:

Toni

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:50 pm 

Tonig wrote:
We've found that the neighbours fence is in completely the wrong spot, we spotted it when the sale first went through but didn't realise just how far off it was until I spoke to the council who told us that we had 2 water easements.

Well one is completely on the neighbours side of the fence which means the fence is off by at least 2 meters at the road. We don't plan trying to get the fence moved but the council are insisting that our measurements are taken from the true boundry so we're gonna have to pain a bit yellow line down the boundry so that we can take all our measurements from that.

Hopefully the neighbours will be o.k. with it, we think we're being pretty reasonable and are pretty sure, between you and me that they are aware that it's wrong. Don't know if they realise that their house might just be illegally close to the true boundry but hey I don't care if they don't.

I'll let you know how we go :roll:

Toni

hey toni will 2 water easements cost you more money?i actually dont even know what they are lol. id be sorting out the boundary issues though espeacially if you plan to sell in the future im sure the neighbours know their boundarys but because they get 2 extra mtrs i dont think they will worry about it but it could increase the value of your land so may be worth looking into.