Build Your Own House

The ultimate website for owner builders & DIYers
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:09 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:14 am 

16th July 2008
Who do you think you are...
:D Hi all. My name’s Kylie but you can call me Smiley. And in a great test to my moniker we are endeavouring to build our own home shortly. My partners in crime are my husband, Mat (a panel beater by trade) and my three feral but very dear children, T (8), KJ (6) and Little P (3).

16th July 2008
Owner selling the rental were in...
:( We were planning on looking at buying our current rental property after my husband received his inheritance in February 2009 but the owner has decided to sell now and has pretty much forced our hand to start the process earlier and let us make first offer.

Scared from past experience...
:oops: I was extremely scared as 12 months prior we found land, got pre-approved for a loan with the finance company giving us every assurance and encouraging us to put deposit down only for the finance to fall through on the day before we had to agree to settlement terms. It was crushing and a massive embarassment to tell the vendors and the real estate agents, who were super supportive and accommodating to us. We were given so many reasons why we couldn’t get a loan, needing 20% deposit to owner build, my husband wasn’t working long enough as a sole trader, or the most infuriating excuse where my 3 kids were called “the liabilities”. So as you could understand I was very scared of going through the process again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:16 am 

1st August 2008
Gaining finance this time around...
:D This time though we had a lot more in our favour. My husband has been a sole trader for over two years and showing continual growth. He had also inherited land in the country that we could use as equity and the financial sum I spoke of earlier due to be paid out by February. We also enlisted the services of a finance consultant to do the loan chasing for us. And it was successful. We now have a loan ready to go.

21st August 2008
Offers made...
:x We put in offers for the rental house only for the owner to say no every time and make us go over what we were willing to pay so we told him that he’ll have to put it on the market. We have a rental contract until 17th September. He has agreed we can stay on until we find another property [so he can keep getting a rental income] or until he sells.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:17 am 

25th August 2008
Land and Owner Building...
:) We have since found 3.3acres with a old house and lots of shedding that we’ve fallen in love with. Our intention was to live in the run down old house and take our time and build on the property. Our first urge was just to straight away put an offer down as I’m very impatient but we made the most important decision anyone should make before making an offer on a property – we went to the council to check if we could build in the future if we bought this land.

26th August 2008
Council restrictions...
:shock: The council were not very encouraging about the chances of building on the acreage. There were existing council planning restrictions, possible flood / inundation restrictions, and mining issues. We couldn’t get any definitive answer whether there was any possibility of being able to build, just a name, phone number and email to a Planning Consultant to check with. I emailed him straight away only to get an auto-reply to say he’s out of the office until 5th September (10 days time).
I contacted the Council Officer who gave us the contact details and told him that the person was out of the office. He was sympathetic and asked me to send through details of where on the property we’d prefer to build and he will do as much work as he can. I got an email the next day saying he couldn’t open my document which was encouraging in that I knew he was at least looking at it. The next day, [did I mention I was impatient?], I sent him an email to just make sure he could open this document. 20 minutes later I got a complete detailed outline of what restrictions there were, which departments I’d have to contact to get confirmation and most important of all a tentative thumbs up that the areas that we proposed to build on were not subject to inundation restrictions. See what a little pleasant coaxing can achieve. So our next step is to contact the Department of Sustainability and double check on the inundation overlay and mining history and to contact a surveyor who can look at the land and give us a clearer view of what we have to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:18 am 

Our intentions...
:? If we can build on the land we will first put in an offer and wait on vendor approval. We want to build a Wide Span Shed ‘Country Home’ house. I’m currently researching this option and maybe a kitome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:20 am 

Surveyor...
:) I found a surveyor who is capable of doing all the soil test and viability tests we may need to do if we went ahead and bought the 3.3acres we were looking at. He was super friendly and ready to go from the first meeting and I have a really good vibe about him. He’s going out to look at the plot today.

Battling anxiety...
:roll: I’m pretty strung out today. I hate all this waiting. Waiting for the surveyor to check the land. Waiting before we put an offer in. Waiting to see if it’s accepted. Waiting on Planning Permits and Building Permits. I just want to be able to say that I have a patch of land that is mine. A legacy. Something not subject to real estate agents and landlords. I can put a nail in a wall if I want to. I can plant the flowers I want to. I realise that doing all the checking and research will be of benefit down the track and is a smart move but I just want it all to be over in regards to the land purchase. Yes I do realise there is even more planning and research and frustration on it’s way when we build but at least it will be able to say the land under our feet is ours. And if another person says to me, “Patience Young Jedi” to me in a Yoda voice I might just flip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:43 pm 

Welcome to the uncertain world of owner building.

Advice - Hang on tight for the ride, it can get a bit bumpy along the way but with the support you have you will do it and the end result is always worth it.......

There will be a lot of tears, Happy, Frustration, Elation, Disappointment, BUT WHY NOT and the, Finally we are finished tears, where you can't tell anyone how you feel and can hardly express how you feel when it is all said and done dusted and you're living in your paradise.

Good Luck and enjoy it learn from it and grow from it.

Regards

OB1&2
Inez &Kevin
Kevin & Inez

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:58 pm 

Best of luck!!! I and the DW are just about to step over the edge - we'll be paying the first large bills in the next few days :shock:, the Surveyors (for re-pegging), Water Corporation (sewage headworks) and Western Power (power connection). We're both scared and excited by the roller coaster that awaits us, just as you guys!

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:41 pm 

Good luck... it will be worth it. Just hang in there... We moved in a year ago on 5 acres... still landscaping now and loving it!!

Regards, Ari :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:21 am 

hi smiley congrats on the big jump.just in case you dont know in between marong and bendigo on the calder is a wide span shed home the big one they have its set back from the road on acerage but it looks awesome maybe worth a look and maybe even speak to the people who own it see if their happy with it.coming from wyche its on your left.
good luck cheers shelley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:32 pm 

Offer In...
:wink: Well the surveyor has been out and advised us to go ahead with an offer finally... so we have. Now we just wait and see if it's accepted.

Hmmm Interesting...
:roll: We had a very interesting phone call last week from the owner of this rental that turned down all our offers, trying to get us to agree buying at our highest price but not through the estate agents. We basically told him no - he missed his chance. He is taking it off the market now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:40 pm 

Thanks everyone...
Thanks for all the well wishes - I love reading all your advice and exploits and I'm glad to have somewhere to tell my own story especially as it feels like I'm doing something towards our goal whilst waiting for all the call backs and approvals.

Shelley, I saw the shed house you told me about but blowed if I could figure out how to get to it off the highway!!!! ha ha Will have to take Hubby next time who knows the area better!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:02 am 

Offer Accepted...
:lol: Our offer has been accepted. The paperwork is at the solicitor/conveyancers and we'll be signing away tomorrow. In 30 days we will have settled and we will have our own piece of Australia - my greatest wish! Woo hoo. I will post pics and more details of OUR PLACE as soon as I can. Woo hoo. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:14 am 

congrats smiley bet your really smiling now lol. cant wait for photos wooohoooo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:49 am 

Grr! Paperwork!
:evil: Well things are progressing toward settlement but not without hiccups. I expected things all to be right to go but thanks to papers getting lost in the mail and people not talking to people, there have been a few anxious moments. We should still be settled on the 9th October. My mistake, believing others had it under control. I thought I'd make a few calls, found the issues and sorted them out. I have everyone involved on a tight leash now. All must report to Sargeant Smiley!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:34 pm 

Oh sorry for the hold up on your purchase. Ours went through miraculously on time but I have to say I was nervous.

We refinanced our house in Sydney at the beginning of the year and it took 3 attempts to settle, incorrect paperwork, one bank didn't even turn up for the 2nd appointment.

Fingers crossed everything's smooth sailing for you from here
Toni